Improved text rendering

Some time ago I talked about how Signed Distance Fields can greatly improve text rendering, but I noticed that my implementation was suffering from several visual artifacts. That was specially true when displaying small characters.

Then, I went back to the font generation tool and made some changes in order to remove those artifacts or at least reduce them as much as possible. In addition, the resulting textures are bigger and the SDF is much more precise.

Here’re two images comparing both implementations:

Before: notice the artifacts in some glyphs (i.e. the “D” in “Died”)
Now: artifacts are less noticeable
Now: artifacts are less noticeable

Also, I moved all the font atlas generation and SDF calculations to the main repository (they were separated projects before). That way it’s easier to use from within projects and I can take advantage of some tools already included in Crimild.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.